First exhibits to be shown in the future museum started to be gathered in the early 1930s, by the time priests from the Polish Province of the Congregation of the Mission set out to missionary work in China. In the years 1929-1948 around 40 members of the congregation took part in these missions. They worked in two large provinces –Shuntefhu and Wenchow.
Practically right from the start the missionaries sent various exhibits to Poland in order to familiarize their compatriots with culture and religion of the beautiful country of China. A few years before the World War II a Mission Museum could be instituted thanks to the many exhibits. After the WWII the museum had to be closed due to lack of facilities in which to house it. The reopening took place only in 1995 after the library had been relocated.